Draft Day in Virginia 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Draft Day in Virginia 2019

First ODU Monarch to ever be drafted into the NFL, Oshane Ximines drafted at 95 overall by the NY Giants.

David Henshaw, Sports Editor

RECAPPING THE DRAFT

After NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell opened the 2019 NFL Draft, the Raiders made the most shocking draft pick in the first round at #4 with Clelin Ferrell from Clemson. Second Round with, Juan Thornhill from UVA was drafted at #63 by the Chiefs, Cardinals gave QB Josh Rosen to Miami.  the third round is where Virginia went into the history books by getting Oshane Ximines drafted by the Giants at 95 overall, third round had a record 4 trades. Skipping to the sixth round where Old Dominion’s Travis Fulgham was drafted at 184 by the Lions and before the infamous 199th pick UVA’s Tim Harris was drafted at 198 by the 49ers.

That was not the end of the rest of the Virginian draft prospects because after Caleb Wilson was drafted by the Cardinals at 254 as the last pick in the draft being labeled Mr. Irrelevant, Olamide Zaccheaus from UVA was signed by the Falcons, Ricky Walker from VT and locally Bethel High School was signed by the Cowboys. Yosuah Nijman from VT goes to the Packers, Chris Peace from UVA and locally Denbigh High School signed with the Chargers,  Jonathan Duhart from ODU rejoins Travis Fulgham on the Lions, Marcus Applefield from UVA signed with the Ravens, ODU’s Jeremy Cox signed with Chargers and joins forces with Chris Peace. Jordan Ellis from UVA joined the Bengals, Kyle Chung from Virginia Tech signed with the Bears, and Tim Ward from ODU signs with the Chiefs with UVA’s Juan Thornhill. In total ODU had the most people signed during the weekend, with only two drafted in Nashville and Virginia Tech’s 25-year-long streak of having at least one draftee was broken.

SCHOOL ATHLETICS (VIA MAXPREPS)

Thursday April 25th, 2019

• The Kecoughtan JV girls soccer team won Thursday’s away non-conference game against Warwick (Newport News, VA) by a score of 2-1.
  • The Kecoughtan varsity girls soccer team won Thursday’s away conference game against Phoebus (Hampton, VA) by a score of 4-0.
  • The Kecoughtan JV baseball team won Thursday’s home non-conference game against Heritage (Newport News, VA) by a score of 17-0.
  • The Kecoughtan varsity baseball team won Thursday’s away non-conference game against Heritage (Newport News, VA) by a score of 17-2.
  • The Kecoughtan varsity boys soccer team won Thursday’s away non-conference game against Phoebus (Hampton, VA) by a score of 13-0.
  • The Kecoughtan JV boys soccer team won Thursday’s away non-conference game against Warwick (Newport News, VA) by a score of 3-2.

Friday April 26th, 2019

• ALL TENNIS TOURNAMENTS WERE CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER

COPYRIGHT©2019, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER