150th Sports Story Commemorative Edition

Back to Article
Back to Article

David Henshaw, Sports Editor

Kecoughtan Reaches Milestone of 150 Sports Stories 

From Tribal Tales to Tribal Times, Kecoughtan has always been a culture of sports and the sports is the news that we have reported on for years. The first years of sports journalism at Kecoughtan began in the 1970s, as new sports were coming to Kecoughtan and appealing from school athletics to local sporting events. It was then that the newspaper was read by everyone in the school from students, teachers, administrators, even the custodial staff, the paper was instant hit for current events in school. The sports journalists have covered playoffs and championships, while also covering opening days and homecomings, while also breaking ground on new stories about the school breaking ground on new sporting areas. It was 1992, when the baseball team won their last State championship and KHS sports journalists were there to cover it. In 1995, a fight broke out at school and a baseball player was stabbed and killed, the sports journalists as well as news journalists were there. In 2002, Kecoughtan’s football team won their last Regional championship and the journalists were there to report it. In 2010 when the Buddy Denton Field broke ground.

In 2016, the school’s wrestling team completed its first undefeated regular season, for the first time in the program’s history and the journalists reported on that. In recent years, the Kecoughtan athletic teams have improved. In 2016, some players were announced as a part 2015 Group 5A All-State Football team and we were there to report on it. We’ve even reported on college and pro sports, from National Championships for a Virginia team to a former Warrior, known as Jerod Mayo winning the Super Bowl,  hoisting up the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and donating the gold Super Bowl football to the school where he began his athletic career, Virginia native olympians winning gold for Team USA. Throughout the years that Tribal Tales was around they made 143 sports stories, three of those by myself, in 2018, Tribal Tales was no more, under new leadership it became Tribal Times and with that seven more stories came, making this story the 150th, a HCS record. So here’s to another 150 sports stories to future Kecoughtan sports journalists after the current journalists graduate from a school rich with sports and culture.

SCHOOL ATHLETICS (VIA MAXPREPS)

• The Kecoughtan JV baseball team won Monday’s home non-conference game against Woodside (Newport News, VA) by a score of 6-2.
    • The Kecoughtan varsity softball team lost Monday’s away conference game against Woodside (Newport News, VA) by a score of 11-1.
    • The Kecoughtan varsity baseball team was leading in Monday’s away conference game against Woodside (Newport News, VA) by a score of 3-0, the game was rained out and will continue after Spring Break.

• The Kecoughtan varsity soccer team won Tuesday’s home non-conference game against Gloucester (VA) by a score of 2-1.

• The Kecoughtan varsity baseball team lost Tuesday’s away non-conference game against Gloucester (VA) by a score of 11-0.

• The Kecoughtan varsity boys and girls soccer teams won Tuesday’s home games against Gloucester (VA) by a score of 2-1.
  • The Kecoughtan boys tennis won Tuesday’s home game against Woodside (Newport News, VA) by a score of 9-0.

• The Kecoughtan girls tennis team lost Tuesday’s game against Woodside (Newport News, VA) by a score of 7-2.

COPYRIGHT©2019, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER