William & Mary Football Player Shot and Killed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kri’Shawn D. Beamon (Left) and Nate Evans (Right)

Norfolk Police Department

Norfolk Police Department

Norfolk Police Department

David Henshaw, Sports Editor

Tribe Athletics
https://tribeathletics.com/news/2019/3/22/football-tribe-mourns-loss-of-student-athlete.aspx

College of William & Mary Tribe football player, Nate Evans was was shot to death on March 21st, in Norfolk. The sophomore running back played in nine games and earned eight starts … Ranked second on the team in rushing, totaling 208 yards on 70 carries with two touchdowns … Also registered a 71-yard defensive touchdown at Rhode Island when he stripped the ball back from a URI linebacker who had intercepted a W&M pass. he made an impact in the passing game with 10 catches for 47 yards … Rushed for a season-high 58 yards on 12 carries with a touchdown in the win at Villanova … Also recorded a touchdown run at No. 12/14 Virginia Tech … Posted 39 yards on eight carries against Richmond … Recorded 29 yards on nine carries and three catches for 12 yards at No. 17/18 Towson.

The suspect is Kri’Shawn D. Beamon, 20, of Chesapeake, was charged with second-degree murder, robbery, and two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony, according to Norfolk Police. He was arrested Monday without incident. Here are some statements from the campus courtesy of Tribe Athletics….

W&M President Katherine A. Rowe:
“William & Mary grieves today the death of Nate Evans, an immensely talented young man. I extend condolences and the deepest sympathy on behalf of the community to Nate’s family, friends, team members and others close to him.”

W&M Athletics Director Samantha Huge:
“Last night, the William & Mary family lost one of our own, with the tragic passing of football student-athlete Nate Evans. Our university and Athletics Department are part of a tight knit community, and Nate’s loss will be felt deeply. We have provided university counselors and psychologists to support Nate’s teammates, coaches and friends. Most importantly, our thoughts and prayers are with Nate’s family and friends during this difficult time.”

Head Football Coach Mike London:
“Nate’s is a loss we are feeling deeply within our program. Faith and family are the foundations of our program. We value relationships first. Our team has gathered together to support each other as we deal with the grief that comes from this tragedy. Additionally, we will do all we can to support and comfort Nate’s family and loved ones through this difficult time.”

Almost a week after the incident and on Monday the campus mourned for a fallen student-athlete.

COPYRIGHT©2019, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER