Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Latest in Sports. (UPDATED 3/13/20 at 11:39am)

Virginia Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association

Photo of the Virginia High School League's State of the League Address.

David Henshaw, Sports Editor

Here is the latest from each sports league on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)…

HCS: All athletic events and practices are cancelled amid fears of Coronavirus outbreak.

• INDYCAR: League is postponing opening race at St. Pete.
  • ACCN: All live shows will be suspended from production due to COVID-19 disrupting all of college sports.
  • FS1: Fox Sports has decided that, out of an abundance of caution, all daily programs will be suspended in production through at least Friday, March 20th.
  • Boston Marathon: It has been postponed to Monday, September 14th, it is the first delay to the marathon in its 124-year history.
  • MiLB: League will delay the start of the 2020 regular season.
  • UEFA: Champions League round-of-16 second leg games are scheduled for next Tuesday.
  • VHSL: All basketball tournaments are cancelled and the teams in each region are declared co-champions, Great Bridge High School became the first Athletics department to cancel all events outside of the Hampton Roads region.
  • CAA: basketball tournaments are now cancelled along with spring athletics.
  • PGA: Tour events including the 2020 Masters Tournament will be postponed due to Coronavirus concerns in Augusta, GA.
  • Formula 1: Bahrain and Vietnam races are postponed due to the continued global spread of Coronavirus.
  • NASCAR: The races at Atlanta and Homestead-Miami Speedway are postponed due to concerns of COVID-19.
  • NFL: Washington Redskins become first team to recall their scouts and suspend all travel.
  • Olympics: Japan 2020 Host Committee says it has no plans to cancel the event but will follow the guidance of the International Olympic Committee and flame lighting ceremony in Greece will be taking place without fans.
  • MLB: League will cancel Spring Training and delay Opening Week for the 151st Baseball season for two weeks.
  • Serie A: Officially halting operations until further notice.
  • La Liga: games will be played behind closed doors and in empty soccer stadiums.
  • Premier League, FA, EFL, WSL: Leagues have suspended their seasons (until April 3rd) due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
  • CFL: To discuss future of league amid Coronavirus concerns.
  • XFL: League has suspended its inaugural season due to COVID-19
  • NBA: League has suspended its season (for 30 days) due to COVID-19 until further notice after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for COVID-19. NBA G League has also cancelled its season
  • NCAA: March Madness tournaments are now cancelled, along with the remainder of the winter and spring sports.
  • Big Ten: Tournament is now cancelled
  • Big 12: Tournament is now cancelled
  • Pac-12: Tournament is now cancelled
  • CBI Tournament: cancelling 2020 edition amid Coronavirus fears.
  • Big East: limited locker room access to media and other personnel.
  • Atlantic 10: Tournament is now cancelled
  • Ivy League Basketball tournaments are cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns.
  • SEC: Tournament is now cancelled
  • AAC: Tournament is now cancelled.
  • MEAC: Tournament is now cancelled
  • ACC: Tournament is now cancelled, along with spring athletics.
  • NHL:  Suspends its season until further notice due to Coronavirus concerns.
  • MLS: Suspending its season until further notice because of Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For other sporting events cancelled, go to https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/28824781/list-sporting-events-canceled-coronavirus

COPYRIGHT©2020, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER