KHS PLAYOFFS 2020: Boys Varsity Basketball Avenges 2017 Quarterfinal Loss.

KHS Athletics

Photo of Norview High School Basketball Court for tipoff at the Regional Quarterfinal. (KHS vs IRHS)

David Henshaw, Sports Editor

Boys Basketball has Defeated Indian River in Regional Quarterfinal.

In a game that had Indian River predicted to repeat the 2018 playoffs, with a win over the Kecoughtan Warriors quickly changed sides as the Warriors power their way to an upset and a victory. The Warriors would go into the game riding an impressive 16-6 overall record and hoping to claim victory after their loss in the regular season finale against Menchville last week. While many were predicting a repeat from the 2018 Quarterfinal with an Indian River win, the Warriors were preparing to prove the experts wrong.

With lighting fast efficiency in scoring, The Kecoughtan Warriors would take the lead early in the game and hang on to the lead all the way as they would go to the free throw line 18 times, compared to the 5 times the Braves went there, the game ended up coming close to a lead change late in the 3rd quarter when the Warriors led the braves 44-42, with just a two-pointer to change the lead, it ended up being Kecoughtan extending the lead and quickly took care of the Braves’ offense with jaw dropping blocks by Vincent Cousins in transition.

With just 45 seconds left in this upset, the Warriors led 67-58 and came through in free throws at the foul line by DeJuan Campbell and Jaylin Davis to make it 69-58. The final score would end up being 69-62, a testament to the durability of the Kecoughtan Warriors when leading early in the game and keeping the lead, even extending it all the way to the end of the game.

While the Indian River Braves end their season with a 17-5 regular season record, the Kecoughtan Warriors will move on to the Boys Basketball Regional Semifinal at the Norfolk Scope where they will face Norview for a trip to the Region 5A State Quarterfinals. The Warriors proving strong in the end of this game, hanging on to the lead and keeping themselves in check to prevent foul-line throws for the Braves, we’ll see if they can do it again on Friday as they battle for a trip to the State Quarterfinals on the line.

OTHER ATHLETICS (VIA KHS ATHLETICS)

• But first, Congrats to Cordell Gregg (sophomore) for his 6th place finish at the Class 5 Wrestling Championships! 
  • And congrats to State Champ (again)! Congratulations to Senior Brieanna Romney for finishing 1st in the 50 Free at the Class 5 Championship meet at George Mason with a time of 23.48 and 2nd in her 100 freestyle with a time of 51.23.
  • Spring Sports will be beginning scrimmages and practices this coming month on March 9th.

Tribal Times Sports has you covered with exclusive coverage of the 2020 VHSL Boys Basketball playoffs and the Kecoughtan Warriors’ Road to States.

COPYRIGHT©2020, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER