Guitar Class’ December 11, 2019 Winter Concert Reflection

Back to Article
Back to Article

Richard Oben, Social Media Editor

The Guitar Class of Kecoughtan High School recently had a Winter Concert on December 11, 2019 in the auditorium. The event was free and open to the public, and I’m positive that everyone had a wonderful night. Overall, the whole event was spectacular and it was a festive transition into the holidays. 

The Guitar Concert was performed by both the Beginner Guitar and Advanced Guitar classes, with each one having specific pieces that relate to the students’ skill level. However, before the jolly performance began, guitar teacher Jerry Sowers lit up the “Grand Illumination,” which was the colorful Christmas tree light up that set the jolly mood for the rest of the program. To start off this festive program, the Beginner Guitar class played “Spanish Theme,” a piece written in Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book 1, which is a piece written for the high E string on the guitar. After that the class played a variety of pieces from both the Hal Leonard Book and from classical composers, such as Beethoven. The pieces that the Beginner Class played during the performance include “World Beat,” “Ode to Joy,” “Rockin’ Robin,” “Au Clair De La Lune,” “Sparkling Stella,” “Aura Lee,” “Worried Man Blues,” “Jingle Bells,” and “Tallis’s Canon.” After the Beginning Class finished playing “Tallis’s Canon,” the Advanced Class joined in and both classes ended up playing this piece in a harmonious and peaceful tune. “Tallis’s Canon” was the perfect transition to the Advanced Groups’ pieces. The pieces of music that the advanced group played include “Carol of the Bells,” “Greensleeves,” “Away in a Manger,” “O Holy Night,” “The First Noel,” and “Silver Bells.” After “Silver Bells,” both classes bowed elegantly in front of the audience and the festive concert was, sadly, over.

Students in the Beginners Guitar Class include: Ryan Baird, Kaelyn Bever, Angelica Cotto, Shyan Cullipher, Jayla Foreman, Charlene Hall, Matthew Hall, Olivia Haas, Jonathan Hernandez, Nicholas Hester, Caleb Jenkins, William Ketterman, Lily Lambert, Lee Logan, Brian Lopez, Ethan Martinez, Luke Mitchell, Michael Moore, Daamin Muhammed, Richard Oben, Malachi Santiago, Benjamin Schwartz, Terrance Stapleton, Joaquin Timms, Liam Wallace, and Camielle Wilson. The Advanced Guitar Class were divided into 2 year, 3 year, and 4 year students. Students in 2 year guitar include: Haley Herron, Jonathan Kelley, Zakary Keener, Daniel Medina, William Shaw, and Anthony Stapleton. Students in 3 year guitar include: James Lamb and Brian Taylor. Finally, Kwinton Banks is a student who has been taking guitar class for 4 years.

COPYRIGHT©2019, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER