Mary Miller Receives the Phil Everhart Youth Leadership Award

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mary receives her award.

Mary receives her award.

Mary receives her award.

Mary receives her award.

Richard Oben, Social Media Editor

October is a month best known for Halloween, however, it’s also the month of National Down Syndrome Awareness and the month when Mary Miller, currently a Sophomore of Kecoughtan High School, received the Phil Everhart Youth Leadership Award. 

Mary Miller is a bright and young Sophomore at Kecoughtan High School who has recently received the Phil Everhart Youth Leadership Award from the Hampton mayor himself: Donnie Tuck. This award was given to Mary Miller on October the 24th as recognition of her disability awareness services to the community, one of which includes her successful attempt in raising over $2,500 for the Special Olympics through the Chesapeake Sheriff’s Department Dancing with the Athletes event in December of 2018. She will be performing at this event again next month on December 8, 2019 at 7 p.m. at the Chesapeake Conference Center. Mayor Tuck gave other awards to a variety of people who have been recognized with the services that they’ve provided for the disability community in the Annual Awards Luncheon at Queen Street North Worship Center. 

Besides raising money for the Special Olympics, Mary has also met with Virginia Legislature to persuade them to increase Medicaid Waiver funding and employment services for people with disabilities, she is also a member of the Arts Inclusion Company for the past 5 years, where she has performed in theatrical performances such as “Seussical the Musical,” “The Wizard of Oz,” “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” and “Aladdin, Jr.” In addition to this, she has also been elected as Freshman Representative in Kecoughtan High School’s Student Council Association. As for what the future holds, Mary will continue to contribute to the disability community by continuing to raise money for the Special Olympics and, in February, Mary and her mother will be heading to their fifth trip to Richmond in order to meet with senators and advocate for disability increase in funding for their services. 

In addition to this, Mary and the self contained academic students are planning to sell Christmas themed crafts in their third Annual Holiday Craft Shop! They will be selling these items in the cafeteria during all four lunches from December 2-19, come out and buy these gifts for family, friends, and loved ones! The self contained academic students will be using the funds of this craft shop in order to fund a trip to the Sight and Sound Center, and Hershey Park in Pennsylvania. 

COPYRIGHT©2019, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER