The Weekend of Upsets

Geoff Burke, USA TODAY Sports

Virginia Quarterback, Bryce Perkins (with ball) rushes into the endzone for his second solo TD.

David Henshaw, Sports Editor

THE STREAK IS OVER WITH A SHOCKER AT SCOTT STADIUM.

The Virginia Tech football team didn’t expect an upset as they would be battling it out with Virginia for the Commonwealth Cup and the ACC Coastal crown. But, after a close game with a TD being scored during almost every drive during the first three quarters. The Cavaliers offense would make 164 passing yards and two touchdowns during the first quarter with their star of the game being their quarterback, Bryce Perkins.

Perkins would be the ultimate redeemer for the Cavaliers as his calm pocket passing ability and ability to efficiently escape the pocket and the incoming defenders to rush for more than 137 rushing yards and two TDs of his own during the first quarter and was able to deliver 20-of-33 passes for 311 yards. The defense would deliver two interceptions and the offense would immediately score touchdowns with them. If 4th down would come before the end zone, UVA had nothing to worry about as their kicking unit would be 2/2.

After fifteen years of Hokie domination, a Virginia Cavalier has drank from the Commonwealth Cup once more. The last Virginia player to drink from the Cup was Atlanta Falcons backup quarterback, Matt Schaub back in 2004. Virginia’s coach, Bronco Mendenhall uses a stone slab which depicts the goals and expectations of the team, it also features the logo of the opposing team. Mendenhall would then take a sledgehammer and smash the stone into pieces leaving a broken Hokie logo and destroyed expectations.

While the Hokies still lead all time in the series 58-38-5, along with the biggest upset and streak, at least the students, alumni, and fans of the University of Virginia can be happy about one thing, they’ve waited fifteen years and now they have the Cup.

More upsets occurred across the country, #15 Auburn defeated #5 Alabama in the Iron Bowl by a score of 48-45, Alabama is now completely out of the College Football Playoff picture and #12 Wisconsin defeated #8 Minnesota in the Battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe with a blowout of 38-17.

COMING UP TUESDAY

Celebrate the 150th season of college football by following us on a trip into the past as we look at the evolution of the college football teams of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Follow the path that Virginia Tech has taken to become the best in the state and how Old Dominion University re-establish themselves as a college football powerhouse.

Story will be published tomorrow, here’s the link: https://khspress.com/1185/kecoughtan-sports/college_football_150_virginia/

WINTER SPORTS TIP-OFF (VIA KHS ATHLETICS)

Tuesday, December 3, 2019
TIME EVENT DETAILS
4:30pm Basketball: Girls JV Game vs. Hampton  @ Kecoughtan High School
5:30pm Basketball: Girls Varsity Game vs. Hampton  @ Hampton High School
6:00pm Basketball: Boys JV Game vs. Hampton  @ Kecoughtan High School
7:00pm Basketball: Boys Varsity Game vs. Hampton  @ Hampton High School
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
TIME EVENT DETAILS
2:45pm Indoor Track: Girls Varsity Meet vs. TBA  @ Boo Williams Sports Complex
2:45pm Indoor Track: Boys Varsity Meet vs. TBA  @ Boo Williams Sports Complex
4:30pm Scholastic Bowl: Varsity Match vs. Multiple Schools..  @ Denbigh High School
6:00pm Wrestling: Varsity Match vs. Warwick  @ Kecoughtan High School
Thursday, December 5, 2019
Friday, December 6, 2019
TIME EVENT DETAILS
4:00pm Basketball: Boys JV Game vs. Phoebus  @ Phoebus High School
5:30pm Basketball: Girls Varsity Game vs. Phoebus  @ Phoebus High School
7:00pm Basketball: Boys Varsity Game vs. Phoebus  @ Phoebus High School
Saturday, December 7, 2019
TIME EVENT DETAILS
5:00pm Basketball: Girls Varsity Game vs. Lafayette  @ Kecoughtan High School
7:00pm Basketball: Boys Varsity Game vs. Norview  @ Kecoughtan High School

COPYRIGHT©2019, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER