Friday the 13th, A Cursed Crosstown Conundrum

Back to Article
Back to Article

Players and coaches shaking hands of Phoebus and Kecoughtan, after a shutout showdown and a minor altercation.

Tribal Times Media Dept.

Tribal Times Media Dept.

Tribal Times Media Dept.

David Henshaw, Sports Editor

Friday the 13th Showdown Ended in Scary Shutout.

In a game against Phoebus, the odds are normally against the Warriors, however with the Friday the 13th superstition affecting all of the VHSL, it was quite a tossup, the result, however, was anything but. The game began with ominous clouds surrounding the stadium, the Warriors was the first to receive, starting with a 7-yd rush for a first down, the Warriors fell short, due to the penalties. 

The Phantoms were the first to score with a 45-yard dash to the endzone and after that the Warriors chances of beating the defending District champions, slowly began to diminish. In the 4th quarter, the Warriors made a spectacular pass on the Phoebus 45 yard line, it was however intercepted.

OTHER ATHLETICS

• The Kecoughtan Girls volleyball shutout the Denbigh Patriots, 3-0 was the final.
  • The Kecoughtan Boys volleyball team was shutout by the Denbigh Patriots, 0-3 was the final.
  • Congratulations to the boys & girls cross country teams, opened their 2019 season with victories over Phoebus & Bethel yesterday at Gosnold Hope Park.
  • The Kecoughtan JV Football team was shutout by Phoebus, 45-0 was the final.

Next Week, Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

Childhood cancer affects all of the world, worldwide 180,000 children are diagnosed with cancer. 16,000 alone are in the United States (St. Jude) and in the state of Virginia, it’s estimated that 145 to 161 kids are diagnosed (CDC, October 1st, 2018). During the month of September, high school varsity football teams all across America are scoring touchdowns every Friday night, not just to win a game, but to make a difference.

The Touchdowns Against Cancer initiative unites all high schools because for every touchdown scored a local fundraiser of Touchdowns Against Cancer walks bleachers in all football fields to collect donations for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Every Friday night it’s estimated that 6,000 touchdowns are scored across the nation through this national program created by MaxPreps, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and Pledge It. There are 26,407 high schools currently in this fight through the four weeks of September, approximately 6,000 touchdowns scored every Friday night, it’s estimated that through the entire month 24,000 touchdowns are scored, that means 24,000 chances to make a difference. You can pledge today at www.touchdownsagainstcancer.com

During the month of September, the Sports Zone Primetime will promote this mighty cause and will air the amount of money raised and touchdowns scored from all over the country, beginning on Friday September 6th, during At The Half.

Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to more than 80 percent since it opened 60 years ago, please help the doctors, nurses, and medical technicians of St. Jude that work tirelessly do what their motto says, “Finding cures. Saving children.”

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ST. JUDE, VISIT STJUDE.ORG

COPYRIGHT©2019, TRIBAL TIMES NEWSPAPER